which is referred to be BiMM (Bio-inspired Medical Materials) library at InnoTherapy.
Besides catechol, the property of underwater adhesion has been exhibited by another compound called gallol. It is a substance mainly found in plants and is responsible for astringent taste. Adhesion and the astringent taste are intimately related, as gallol-containing substances adhere to oral mucosa to increase frictional force. Using this property, gallol can be applied in a device to deliver a drug by adhering to the mucosa of the oral cavity as well as the digestive organs.
by binding with proteins in body fluid. Based on this, an innovative medical device can be created.
The surface of viral vectors used in gene delivery is composed of proteins. Thus, a stabilized formulation for delivering the therapeutic gene to the target organ can be extended to the platform applicable in gene therapy.
a diversity of fields to promote the path towards the Medical Transcender.
- Lee H, Scherer NF, Messersmith PB. Single-molecule mechanics of mussel adhesion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2006;103(35):12999-13003. doi:10.1073/pnas.0605552103
- Lee H, Lee BP, Messersmith PB. A reversible wet/dry adhesive inspired by mussels and geckos. Nature. 2007;448(7151):338-341. doi:10.1038/nature05968
- Lee H, Dellatore SM, Miller WM, Messersmith PB. Mussel-inspired surface chemistry for multifunctional coatings. Science. 2007;318(5849):426-430. doi:10.1126/science.1147241
- Ryu JH, Lee Y, Kong WH, Kim TG, Park TG, Lee H. Catechol-functionalized chitosan/pluronic hydrogels for tissue adhesives and hemostatic materials. Biomacromolecules. 2011;12(7):2653-2659. doi:10.1021/bm200464x
- Shin M, Ryu JH, Kim K, Kim MJ, Jo S, Lee MS, Lee DY, Lee H. Hemostatic swabs containing polydopamine-like catecholamine chitosan-catechol for normal and coagulopathic animal models. ACS Biomater Sci & Eng. 2018; 4(7):2314-2318. doi:10.1021/acsbiomaterials.8b00451
- Ryu JH, Choi JS, Park E, Eom MR, Jo S, Lee MS, Kwon SK, Lee H. Chitosan oral patches inspired by mussel adhesion. J Control Release. 2020;317:57-66. doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2019.11.006
- Kim K, Shin M, Koh M-Y, Ryu JH, Lee MS, Hong S, Lee H. TAPE: a medical adhesive inspired by a ubiquitous compound in plants. Adv Funct Mater. 2015;25(16):2402-2410. doi: 10.1002/adfm.201500034
- Kim K, Kim K, Ryu JH, Lee H. Chitosan-catechol: a polymer with long-lasting mucoadhesive properties. Biomaterials. 2015;52:161-170. doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2015.02.010
- Shin M, Park SG, Oh BC, Kim K, Jo S, Lee MS, Oh SS, Hong S-H, Shin E-C, Kim K-S, Kang S-W, Lee H. Complete prevention of blood loss with self-sealing haemostatic needles. Nat Mater. 2017;16(1):147-152. doi:10.1038/nmat4758
- Shin M, Lee HA, Lee M, Shin Y, Song J-J, Kang S-W, Nam D-H, Jeon EJ, Cho M, Do MJ, Park SH, Lee MS, Jang J-H, Cho S-W, Kim K-S, Lee H. Targeting protein and peptide therapeutics to the heart via tannic acid modification. Nat Biomed Eng. 2018;2(5):304-317. doi:10.1038/s41551-018-0227-9